To see Christ-like people renewing society
To renew Africa through the gospel of Jesus Christ and the local church by embracing children, equipping leaders, and empowering communities.
In 1990, our founder Pastor Peter Kasirivu started Africa Renewal through Gaba Community Church in response to the overwhelming needs he saw in his community. Pastor Peter found that many people in Gaba didn’t have access to basic necessities, including healthcare and education. Furthermore, they had never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Through his experience and first-hand knowledge of Gaba, he started a ministry that provided real solutions to the lost, vulnerable, hurting and sick in his community.
Under Pastor Peter’s leadership, Africa Renewal has grown to seven affiliated ministries that impact more than 30 communities across Uganda. Together through the combined efforts of the team and countless volunteers, donors and sponsors, Africa Renewal has planted more than 650 churches, trained over 2,700 leaders and sponsored 15,000-plus children.
Through Africa Renewal, people are finding hope. Children have access to education, medical care, leadership training and spiritual discipleship, and young adults are earning advanced degrees. Pastors are receiving theological training and are able to care for their church congregations and beyond. Families and communities as well as U.S. church partners and sponsors get to experience renewal first-hand.
Peter Kasirivu founds Africa Renewal through Gaba Community Church.
The first Africa Renewal Child Development Program opens in Gaba to coordinate child sponsorships.
Africa Renewal’s Early Childhood Development Program opens to the public, designed to service impoverished toddlers.
Africa Renewal’s Bethany Children’s Village, an orphanage located near Kampala, is established.
Mwangaza Children’s Choir tours the USA for the first time.
Wentz Medical Center opens its doors to serve the Gaba community and brings access to healthcare. | Mercy Network opens and connects Africa Renewal-affiliated Ugandan churches with U.S. churches to help communities in need.
Africa Renewal’s Next Generation Leadership Program is established.
Africa Renewal University trains pastors for the first time through Gaba Bible Institute.
Loving Hearts Babies Home rescues its first abandoned baby.
Africa Renewal opens the Mobile Bible School and trains pastors across Uganda.
The first Transformation Leadership Training course opens to students who have completed our Child Development Program.
Africa Renewal holds the Renewal Summit International Conference in Gaba.
Africa Renewal University hosts the opening of the new education building. | Africa Renewal welcomes new USA Executive Director, Jay Mathis.
- Pastor Peter J. Kasirivu, Founder and Ministry Team Leader
- Ronnie Kavuma, Executive Director
- Martin Nkundeki, Medical Director
- Harriet Kisaku, Community Outreach Director
- Ssettimba Stephen, Childcare Director
- Joanne N. Kabugo, Finance Manager
- Henry Muguluma, Leadership Development
- Miriam Memoranda, Manager of Loving Hearts Babies Home
- Dr. David Fugoyo, PhD, Vice Chancellor of Africa Renewal Ministries
United States Staff
- Jay Mathis, President
- Sheryl Millsap, Operations Director
- Lauren Lambert, Program Director
- Melanie Kratzer, Sponsorship Administrator
- Kim Liffick, Sponsorship Assistant
- Kayla TenBrink, Financial Coordinator
Board of Directors:
Africa Renewal Ministries, Ltd. (UGA)
- Barbara Mukasa-Kisubi, Vice Chair
- Dr. Alex Mutagubya – PhD, Member
- Elias Kakooza Member
- Richard Tuhumwirwe, Member
- Jennifer Kamusiime, Member
- Grace Ntale, Member
- Dr. Martin Nkundeki – MD, Member
- Jacques Matsiko, Member
- Dr. Aaron Mushyengyezi – PhD, Member
- Pastor Peter J. Kasirivu, Member
- Ronnie Kavuma, Member
Africa Renewal Ministries, Inc. (USA)
- Brian Park, Chair
- David Barnes, Vice-Chair
- Eric Howard, Member
- Pastor Peter J. Kasirivu, Member
- Jacques Masiko, Member
- Jay Mathis, Member
- Erica Sustayta, Member